Tuesday, December 27, 2011

the girl with the dragon tattoo


I just got home from watching The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I haven't read the book but now I kind of want to even though Chelsi says it doesn't amount to anything until about 300 pages in. Have any of you read the book and then watched the movie? What are your thoughts about the American film adaptation? (There's also this Swedish version, if you didn't know).

The reason I'm blogging about it is because there was a part in the film that really struck me. At one point, Lisbeth (Rooney Mara) is handcuffed to a bed and then raped. Now, I've seen a lot of movies that have rape scenes in them. But I've never been impacted by a scene so much before. I straight up started crying when she took a shower afterward and revealed that her body was covered in bruises. All I could think about was my mom.

For those of you who don't know, my mom was raped by someone she knew in high school. That's how I came to be. I've never known my father and I have absolutely no desire to. My mother was raped by a guy she had dated once while his friends held her down. While Lisbeth was screaming and thrashing about trying to prevent this guy from raping her, all I could think was, "Is this how it was with my mom?" Did she really suffer through something so awful as this? The scene was so hard to watch and left me with an uneasy feeling in my stomach that I have even now, hours later.

I could go on, but I'm going to spare you guys. Don't let this prevent you from watching the movie, because it's definitely worth seeing. It just fucked with me a little more than the rest of the audience. 

0 comments: