Tuesday, December 27, 2011

everything happens for a reason

"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together."   
                   — Marilyn Monroe

Last night I asked Chelsi and Michael when they plan to start trying again for a child. I was reminded that this time last year they were announcing her pregnancy to their families and if things hadn't happened the way they did, we probably wouldn't know each other. If Chelsi had stayed pregnant, they wouldn't have thrown the drumline party at their house in February where the three of us met for the first time. I would have never met up with them at the Holi Festival. I wouldn't know that the Star of India exists cause I would have missed out on that meal. I wouldn't have had a place to stay this summer when Paul and I were fighting. I wouldn't know Kelby or the Harris brothers or any of my other Ogden friends. I wouldn't have spent my first Christmas away from my family with Michael and Chelsi, or the day after with the Barnard family watching Young Frankenstein.

It's so weird to think of how different your life could be if you had made different decisions along the way. Imagine if I hadn't gone to New York during my senior year. I probably wouldn't be living in Utah right now. I'd either be going to NCMC in Trenton or to Mizzou with Scott and Christian. Or what if I hadn't lived in the dorms my first year of college. I never would have met the people I know now and have grown to love. It's a definite mind-fuck. It made me appreciate the people I have in my life now. I honestly don't know what I'd do without some of you.

0 comments: