Saturday, December 25, 2010

joyeux noël

I got a ukulele for Christmas. So far I can kind of play the demo version of Talking Bird by Death Cab for Cutie that they released on their newest EP. Someday I want to be able to play like this girl:

Eminem feat. Rihanna - Love the Way You Lie

Bruno Mars - Just the Way You Are

People are probably going to read this and either think I'm a total bitch or that I don't know the meaning of Christmas.. but I am pretty pissed about the gifts (or lack thereof) that I got from my uncles. 

Each year my Uncle Jeff gets really bad gifts for everybody at Christmas. I understand that his family doesn't have a lot of money because his latest wife put them in hella debt when she decided she needed to take college classes and become some kind of nurse secretary thing. But I don't understand the point of wasting ten dollars on shit like crossword puzzles and ugly Walmart t-shirts - things that people don't really need - when you can just give them $10 or a gift card to somewhere. It just seems like a waste. You're putting good money to bad use by wasting it on things that aren't going to be used. This year they got me a $1 t-shirt that my aunt found somewhere, some kind of weird fluffy socks, and a hairbrush... I don't even want to know what was going through her head as she was shopping for me if she thinks these things are needed by me. Last year they got me a book of crossword puzzles. The year before that I got a computer game.. a really cheap, stupid one intended for children. It's just aggravating considering I'm a poor college student living on my own. I could use $10, not a hairbrush.

My Uncle Greg, who isn't broke and got everyone really nice gifts this year, didn't get me anything. He gave all of the adults homemade jam and gift cards and all of the kids got candy and games and whatever. I didn't get anything. His excuse was that I'm an adult now and he didn't figure I would like homemade jam. .......Seriously? I love homemade jam. Corinne's dad makes it and it's pretty friggin' fantastic. The least they could have done was given me a gift card like everyone else.

I think I'm irritated mostly because I spent my own money on all of my relatives to buy them nice things and I wasn't gifted in the same manner. I have a $400 insurance payment due the first week of January. I would probably have money to pay for that if I hadn't been a good family member and bought presents for everyone. But now I don't and my mom is pretty peeved that she's going to have to pay for it. 

Now that I've blogged about it, that issue is out of my system. I'm not going to think about it anymore. I'm just going to lay in bed, watch the Office and play my ukulele, and hope that the next two weeks fly by. I'm ready to see my friends back in Utah and start another semester of school. 

Also, because it's been a while since I've done a #funfact:
Does He Love You by Rilo Kiley makes me cry. It has since the summer before my junior year. I re-downloaded all of Rilo Kiley's music last night and discovered an acoustic version of the song. It's slower and more heartfelt which, of course, made me cry all the harder.


Rilo Kiley - Does He Love You? (Acoustic)


Rilo Kiley - Does He Love You?

OH AND here's what I started out the day wearing:

But mom didn't dig the cut-up Girl Scouts shirt so this is what I wore for the rest of the time...

I have such style.

0 comments: